Wednesday, April 12, 2006

How to Name a Chinese Restaurant

:: THIS BLOG HAS MOVED TO SuckyBlog.com ::
I've had a lot of friends ask recently, "Jack, how do Chinese restaurant owners pick a name for their establishment?" Actually, nobody's ever asked me that (and most of my friends don't use "establishment" in everyday conversation), but I just threw it out there as a way to enhance my weak storytelling skills. If I had stronger storytelling skills I would not have thrown it out there, and I certainly would not have admitted to making it up. I also would get back on topic real fast.

Because I am of Asian descent (see "Fob or Not?!?!"), I know these things. Here is how you pick a name for a new Chinese restaurant:

1) Pick a name from list A
  • Golden
  • Jade
  • Bamboo
  • Empress
  • Emperor's
  • China
  • Panda
  • Hunan
  • Szechwan
It doesn't matter what kind of food you plan to serve- you can randomly pick either Hunan or Szechwan because nobody in the U.S. knows the difference anyway.

2) Pick a name from list B
  • Dragon
  • Palace
  • Garden
  • Pavilion
  • Inn
  • Pagoda
3) Place A in front of B.

Congratulations. Now you have a name for your new Chinese restaurant.

tags :: : : : :

5 Comments:

Blogger rick james said...

dead on.

you can add, Lucky and Happy too.

ha ha

10:07 AM  
Blogger jackt said...

dccf: and i also forgot "village"!!! hahaha.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous jamie ford said...

That's like looking at my father's resume.

He worked in a Jade Garden and Jade Palace as well as The Far East Restaurant.

In town we have The Great Wall Buffet. We refer to it as the only buffet you can see from outer space.

10:37 AM  
Blogger jackt said...

jf: haha looks like your dad scored a hat trick w/ americanized chinese restaurants! 3 may be too much for any 1 man to take... =)

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack, your list is pretty complete. In addition I would add:
A) Sun or Lucky; and b) city [e.g., Hong Kong], thereby deriving Sun Hong Kong, or Lucky Dragon.
Michael

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home